Friday, July 9, 2010

Fashion Doll Organizer

Everytime we travel to Japan, I always need to prepare some activities for entertaining my little girl when we are on the airplane for many many hours. I get some crafty stuff like papers, crayons, tapes, and "Wonder Knitter" for making I cords, etc. A portable DVD player and her favorite movies, books, games, several kinds of snacks carefully divided into small portions in ZipLocks. And of course, some NEW TOYS! I bet lots of you, who have (or had) little kids, know what I mean.

One day I found these little stylish chicks at the store and I thought they would catch Nina's attention for some hours. I had a vision of Nina and her Japanese cousin Momo are playing together with these dolls. That sure will be cute! Anyway, I bought them and started thinking to make an organizer for making all of these tiny parts of their fashion accessories more portable.

"32 pieces = 400+ combinations!"

I know. These chicks look pretty much spooky when they don't have their heads. But that is the way how you change their clothes. As you imagine their body can be divided in two at their waists.
......! *o* !.....Horrorrrr!

However, I made this organizer for them. I considered 4-5 designs I drew and eventually I decided to make this "Rolling up" style.

The original plan was that I am going to keep it in secrecy until we get on the plane. BUT you know, if you finished any projects and you thought you did pretty good job, you would never be able to keep your lips sealed! I really wanted to see if my choice was correct and the chicks were attractive enough to enchant my 5 years old girl!

My goodness! She seems to like them! And she could unroll the rolled up thing I made! (That is the most important point, isn't it?!)

I made transparent pockets to store dolls with the remnant of a plastic shower curtain. (Sometimes curtains are too long for your bathroom height.) I attached a rick rack tape on the edge of the plastic. The pockets have tucks so the dolls can fit in there nice and tidy.


This is another pocket for organizing accessories. I put a flip so those tiny hats and purses won't fall out.

I am so pleased it turned out very pretty and functional. There is only one thing I want to change is the closure. Nina cannot tie a bow yet. So I have to help to close this organizer every time after she played. That's a pain. I think I am going to put buttons or snaps on  instead of these long tapes to tie.

This was a cool invention. I am now pretty sure that the13 hours flight to Japan will be fun for us. We are so excited!

Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment