Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Furoshiki (Japanese Wrapping Cloth) is coming to Wabi Sabi Saturday!

I am going to have the second Wabi Sabi Saturday event at Junk Evolution in down town South Bend this Saturday. The theme of this month Wabi Sabi is Furoshiki. It is pronounced like " Who, Law, She, Key". Furoshiki is Japanese traditional wrapping cloth. I have been loving Furoshiki and using them a lot for everyday life. In this event I would like to introduce Furoshiki and let people know how come I like it so much. 


Furoshiki has been used to wrap and carry everything people use in daily life in Japan. It is also used for wrapping gifts and there are so many more uses. It is a simple square cloth, but quite functional. Furoshiki can wrap any shapes, and the most fun part of Furoshiki is that it has many ways to wrap stuff.  Furoshiki can be a stylish bag in a minute even without sewing. You can make various styles of bags. 

Recently it is evaluated as an ecological item in the world. Furoshiki is reusable. And it can be very compact when it is not in use. I always have a couple of folded large Furoshiki in my luggage when I travel. If you always had one in the bottom of your purse, it can be a extra shopping bag anytime when you need it. You can reduce consumption of plastic bags. When I moved in the US, I was surprised that people consume so much wrapping papers for birthdays and some other occasions. Wrap a gift with a piece of fabric. Then it will be used again and again. And it makes your gift very special and unforgettable as well.


I will demonstrate how to use Furoshiki in this event. I'll show you making little purses and big shoulder bags and also some ways to wrap gifts and other things. I will also be selling some Furoshiki I made in my studio. You still can buy my Furoshiki after this event for a while at Junk Evolution. The product will come with a brochure of how to use Furoshiki. It is pretty simple. So you just try it and I think you will like it (If you like to live green and also stylish!).


Saturday May 21st, 11:00am-1:00pm, @ Junk Evolution
528 Colfax Ave. South Bend, IN 46617

1 comment:

  1. Darn! I wish I lived closer. I would attend you workshops for sure! Thank you for sharing the proper pronunciation. I of course was always pronouncing the 'f'.

    ReplyDelete